Rev T Eland - Rector 1907-1926
Thomas Eland was appointed Rector in 1907, after his mother-in-law, Mrs Elizabeth Crompton, had bought the Patronage of the church from descendants of the Lateward family in 1905. Mrs Crompton died in 1909, aged 80, and is commemorated by the mosaic-style memorial on the south wall of the nave. The gates to the churchyard were donated in her memory. Her daughter Jessie had married Thomas Eland, and the Patronage subsequently passed to Mrs Eland and then to the Society for the Maintenance of the Faith in 1911. Thomas Eland was Rector from 1907 to 1926 and was Rural Dean for Ealing from 1923 onwards. The church was refurbished in 1911. The walls of the nave, which had been covered with stencilling in 1875, were painted white, and the ceiling was removed, exposing the beams of the roof. The East End was panelled, to mark the First World War, and a new reredos erected, incorporating the 15th century carving of the Deposition. The first confirmation services were held during his incumbency, in 1914. During the First World War, the parish supported a church army hut named ‘Perivale Hut', which provided shelter for up to 700 men. It was destroyed but the silver cross in the hut was subsequently returned to Perivale and became incorporated into the reredos behind the altar. In 1918, a Miss Crompton gave a framed list of Rectors to the church. Rev Eland died in 1934 and was buried in the churchyard. The gates to the churchyard were given by Mrs Eland in his memory in June 1934.
Rev Thomas Eland Monument to Mrs Elizabeth Crompton, Patron of the church and mother-in-law of Rev Eland Rev T Eland memorial on north nave wall List of rectors donated by Miss Crompton multiple lightbox galleriesby VisualLightBox.com v6.1