Stained Glass Windows
The church contained much stained glass prior to the Victorian restoration of 1875, but the only glass surviving from earlier times are two 15th century fragments in the north chancel window, showing the heads of the Virgin Mary and St John. The south wall of the chancel contains a stained glass window commemorating two of Rev Hughes' daughters who died in childhood, namely Mabel Amy aged 3 months (1866) and Edith Constance aged 4 1/2 years (1868). At the west end of the nave there are two windows with attractive Victorian stained glass. That on the north side was installed in memory of Henry Condell, the first Mayor of Melbourne, by his son (who is buried in the churchyard), and restored by donation from the Mayor and Corporation of Melbourne. On the south side, the window is dedicated to two brothers of Rev Charles Hughes, Henry and Alfred, who died in 1871 within a month of each other. The east window shows a Nativity scene and was designed by Francis Stephens ARCA and installed in Autumn 1966 following the major restoration of the chancel and rebuilding of the east wall in 1965.