In 1972 the church was closed for worship, following the retirement of Rev Walter Hobday, only 7 years after its major renovation in 1965. Most of the Perivale population lived north of Western Avenue, which even then formed a considerable barrier, and were served by St Nicholas Church in Federal Road. By 1974 it had fallen into disrepair and had been vandalized. Alan Gillett and friends formed ‘The Friends of St Mary's Perivale' in 1976 to preserve the church for future generations. The Church Commissioners hoped to sell it to the Redundant Churches Fund but the latter were unwilling to purchase it. The Church Commissioners then applied for planning permission to sell the church to an architect, to be used as a studio - unbelievable but true! Fortunately a vigorous campaign led by Alan Gillett, with 1330 signatures, resulted in this notorious proposal being rejected. Subsequently the London Diocesan Fund granted the Friends a 99 year lease on the church. In 1977 Redundant Churches Fund funded the cost of underpinning the buttress on the south side of the church by the 'leper window'. The Inaugural concert was held on 19 th Nov 1978, and the Trust Deed and Lease were signed on 18 th June 1979. Alan Gillett chaired the Executive Committee until 2005, since when Hugh Mather has been Chairman. The Friends of St Mary's Perivale is now flourishing, with the successful concert series providing the funds to maintain the church in pristine condition, and to preserve it for future generations to enjoy. Long may it continue to prosper.