The oldest attributable grave in the churchyard is that of Rev Henry Wyatt, who was Rector from 1661 and died in 1683, but the inscription is almost illegible now. There are several other burials from the first decades of the 18th century, including that of Robert Cromwell who died in 1723 and is buried near the East wall of the church. He left a bequest of £6 for a sermon to be preached at the church on the first Sunday of each month. He is thought to be from the same family as Oliver Cromwell. Old drawings from the 18th century show that most of these were originally chest tombs, but have collapsed and become flat tombstones over the years.
Rev Wyatt grave 1683 Graves of Robert Cromwell (L) (1723) and Matthew Cockett (R) (1731) 18C drawing showing chest tombs 18C drawing showing chest tombs 1848 etching of churchyard Current view for comparison Plan of churchyard c 1850 before it was enlarged Churchyard c 1885 before Hicks memorial Churchyard c 1910 multiple lightbox galleriesby VisualLightBox.com v6.1