Rev C J Hughes - Rector 1861-1907
Rev Charles Joseph Hughes was educated at St John's College Cambridge, and wrote a book on mathematical formulae in 1854. He was appointed Rector of Perivale in 1861 and initially lived at Castlebar Court, situated in Queen's Walk, Ealing, where he ran a small school. Initially the congregation at Perivale was almost non-existent. He introduced Anglo-Catholic style of worship, with the liberal use of incense, vestments and Catholic ceremonial, and encouraged attendance by non-resident communicants living in Ealing. This proved remarkably successful, and the church was often full or overfull thereafter, with over 120 attending both Harvest festival services in 1870. He instigated the restoration of the church in a typical Victorian style from 1868 onwards. The new Chancel Arch was built and a new organ installed in 1875. He moved to Perivale Rectory with his family in 1885 and Castlebar Court was sold. He sold burial plots in the churchyard to non-parishioners at exorbitant prices, before being taking to court by his own Churchwarden in 1906. There were only a handful of ratepayers in the Parish eligible to attend vestry meetings, and he was frequently obliged to conduct them alone, whereupon he would propose, second and carry various resolutions, and then propose a vote of thanks to himself and declare the meeting closed ! This curious behaviour was widely reported in the national press, as shown below. A new Church Hall (or Parish Room) was built in 1898. This was rebuilt in 1934, and is now the equipment shop at Ealing Golf Club. Rev Hughes died in 1907 after an incumbency of 46 years.
Rector Hughes Rector Hughes Choir in Rectory garden 1891 with Rev Hughes in the centre. Castlebar Court - the site of Rev Hughes' school Hampshire Telegraph 29/4/82 re Hughes' Vestry meeting Tamworth Herald 29/4/82 report on Rev Hughes' Vestry meeting Church Hall - now Ealing Golf Club shop multiple lightbox galleriesby VisualLightBox.com v6.1