War Memorials and Porch
In 1887 a 15th century carving, said to have come from a church in Essex, was presented to the church as a memorial to Sarah Adrian by her son, Harry Adrian. It represents the ‘Descent from the Cross' or the ‘Entombment', with 7 figures besides the body of Christ. This was included as in the reredos at the High Altar. The Victorian reredos was then replaced in 1919 by a new oak reredos, in which the ancient panel was incorporated, as a war memorial. The oak reredos is now on the back wall of the nave, and the carving is in the museum. In 1917 a war shrine dedicated to the memory of parishioners, members of the congregation and their relatives, was placed on the South wall of the nave.
In medieval times, the vestry door at the west end, with its stoup for Holy Water, was almost certainly the main entrance to the church. A south porch was reputedly added to the church around 1630, but drawings from the end of the 18th century show a doorway on the south side of the church without a porch. Subsequently, a porch was built around 1850, and was rebuilt in 1955.
Medieval carving of the Deposition Oak panels at the east end, given as a war memorial Oak panels now at the back of the nave Inscription on the pannelling War shrine on south wall of the nave 18C drawing showing South door with no porch Victorian porch installed c1850 Current porch, built in 1955 multiple lightbox galleriesby VisualLightBox.com v6.1